“One of the most shocking aspects of Mexico’s drug cartels is the use of teens and young children for smuggling, thievery, and even assassinations. This is happening not only in Mexico but north of the border as well.
Teens are sometimes offered as little as $50 to act as drivers for the cartels or the local gangs who support them. For example, Texas officers caught a 12-year-old boy in a border county driving a stolen pickup truck containing more than 800 pounds of marijuana. Just this week the US Border and Customs Protection reported that four teenage girls between 15-17 years of age were caught smuggling bundles of heroin at the Arizona 1-19 checkpoint south of Amado.
Agents say cartels are increasingly using teenagers under 18 because they can hire them for a fraction of the cost of experienced smugglers and hit men and because minors are likely not to be prosecuted or to receive only a slap on the wrist.
Sadly, transporting drugs is not the worst of it. Criminal organizations are hiring and training minors as contract killers. The tortured and slain body of a 13-year-old who confessed to his involvement with ten murders for Los Zetas was found in March, apparently as a statement that the boy’s narco bosses weren’t too happy with his confession. Recently two teen girls—one 13 and the other 15, hired by the cartels—confessed to gunning down a man.
The April 11, 2013, AZ 10K reported that Mexican drug cartels, whose operatives once rarely ventured beyond the U.S. border, are dispatching some of their most trusted agents to live and work deep inside the United States—an emboldened presence that experts believe is meant to tighten their grip on the world’s most lucrative narcotics market and maximize profits.
We can be sure the tactic of luring children and teens into crime will become a greater threat not only in border cities but within cities in the heart of the U.S. Police encourage parents to keep a close watch on their teens and to talk to them and explain how cartels and gangs exploit teens.
It is time for the Church to take our place and stand as “Watchmen on the Wall” for our children and for the future of our nation.
- America is the world’s number one consumer of drugs. Our nation’s drug habit is destroying an entire generation. God, have mercy! Bring our nation to repentance.
- Ask God for the protection of the hearts and minds of young children and teenagers who are being lured into trafficking drugs and/or sex. (Psalm 91).
- Turn the tide of the breakdown of the family, the results of which make our children vulnerable to being lured into the trafficking world.
- Continue to pray that any illegal activity will be made known to the proper authorities and arrests will be made without incident. (Matt. 10:26)
- For the toppling of the cartels and their infiltration into the United States.
Information taken from the International Prayer Connect Newsletter.